The Roundup

The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

The Roundup

The Roundup

Rider Renovation

A sneak peek of the new library
Roosevelt Library’s new “Apple Bar” inspired high-top seating, as well as where the library clerk would work.

The library renovation has been going on nearly the entire year- and as the final few days of school approach, we have to wonder- when will it be open? What is new? What will it be used for? Luckily for us, Principal Steven Schappaugh was kind enough to give us a tour.

So when does this new library open? Well, the official ribbon cutting is on August 19th. It is also on course to be open for the 2024-2025 school year.

In addition, the school will be hiring a full-time library clerk- the only one in the district. The school hopes to have them start by July 1st.

What will it be used for?
  • Students with release periods are able to come in during that time to complete school work or as a quiet space. (Directed study will not be held there next year.)
  • Clubs, sports, and classes will be able to reserve different areas of the library for portions of the day.

Within the $6,000 worth of new books- $3,000 provided by the district-  the school will be purchasing additional textbooks, as well as other books read in class. These will be able to be checked out by students to borrow if they do not have their own copy.

The library will be installing a two-part mural done by Artforce Iowa, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for at risk youth. The mural will be a community project, that you will be able to add to at the Des Moines Art Festival, 28-30th of June.  In addition, the library will house student and community art- more details yet to come on what that process will be like.

In regards to furnishings, there will be a variety of seating- both soft and hard. In the alcove areas shown below, there will be mostly soft-body seating, such as armchairs and couches. In the back-right corner, there will be more traditional desks and chairs.

Mini-Tour!

Roosevelt Library’s new “Apple Bar” inspired high-top seating, as well as where the library clerk would work. (Cameron Seitz)
One of two newly renovated accessible, gender-neutral restrooms. (Cameron Seitz)
Livi Wilke-Brown (left) and Anna Lundy (right) posing by the new wheelchair accessible water fountain. (Cameron Seitz)
This is one on many alcove areas in the library that will be filled with seating for students. (Cameron Seitz)