The Roundup

The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

The Roundup

The Roundup

5 movies to watch this winter!

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind directed by Michel Gondry

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is a 2004 film directed by Michel Gondry and written by Charlie Kaufman. Starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, this film takes you on an emotional rollercoaster through the ups and downs of the chaotic relationship between Clementine (Kate Winslet) and Joel (Jim Carrey). Joel, heartbroken that his girlfriend, Clemintine, underwent a procedure to erase him from her memory, decides to do the same. While he watches all his memories of her begin to fade away, he realizes that he still loves her, but it may be too late to fix his mistake. As he tries desperately to correct his mistake and not let go of her, the surreal and dreamlike visuals of the film mirror the complex landscape of memories, beautifully capturing the essence of a complicated relationship. “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is a one of a kind film, inviting you to reflect on the beauty and pain inherent in the journey of love. It’s a cinematic masterpiece that dives deep into the challenges of love, loss, and the resilient nature of human connections.

1. Priscilla directed by Sofia Coppola

“Priscilla” is a 2023 film directed by Sofia Coppola and based on Priscilla Presley’s memoir. The film stars Cailee Spaeny, as Priscilla and Jacob Elordi, as Elvis. This movie reveals the unseen side of Priscilla Presley’s relationship with Elvis during their long and turbulent marriage. Elvis and Priscilla were America’s sweethearts, everyone longed for a love like there’s, yet no one knew what happened behind closed doors. When it comes to absolutely destroying the reputation of a man, leave it to Sofia Coppola. She rips down the walls Priscilla had to hide behind and reveals the raw truth of her marriage with Elvis. Each scene is a testament to Coppola’s artist vision, blending beautiful visuals with an evocative narrative. There are a rare number of directors as gifted as Coppola when it comes to capturing the hardships of love through the eyes of a girl. “Priscilla” is an ode to all the women who have suffered through similar marriages and will leave you teary eyed and hating Elvis.

1. I Believe in Unicorns directed by Leah Meyerhoff

“I believe in unicorns” is a 2014 independent coming of age film written and directed by Leah Meyerhoff. The film stars Natalia Dyer, who plays Davina, and Peter Vack, who plays Sterling. Davina is a young and imaginative teenage girl who often escapes into her beautiful daydream fantasies. Having grown up quickly as the sole caretaker of her disabled mother, she looks for salvation in a new relationship with an older boy. She soon is swept into a whirlwind of love and attention and decides to run away from home, into the arms of Sterling. However, her enchantment with romance and adventure quickly fades as his hostile and angry side begins to emerge, but not even unicorns can help her now. “I Believe in Unicorns” takes you on an adventure through the complexities and dangers of troubled young love, with dreamlike visuals adding an artistic and unique element to the overall film.

1. Moonrise Kingdom directed by Wes Anderson

“Moonrise Kingdom” is a 2012 coming of age film directed by Wes Anderson and written by Anderson and Roman Coppola. Like all Wes Anderson movies, Moonrise kingdom is whimsical and visually stunning. Anderson has gone to great lengths to cultivate his own unique approach to cinema, his signature style of film now immediately recognizable. Moonrise Kingdom is a masterpiece. Not only does it have a beautifully written script and stunning visuals but also a stellar cast that includes Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Jared Gilman, and Kara Hayward. Set on a fictional island off the coast of New England in the 1960s, “Moonrise Kingdom” tells the wild story of two twelve-year-olds, Sam and Suzy. As they embark on their journey together, Anderson’s signature style pulses through every frame. Moonrise Kingdom captures the ups and downs of adolescence while artfully blending humor, nostalgia, and romance.

1. Almost Famous directed by Cameron Crowe

“Almost Famous” is a 2000 comedy-drama film written and directed by Cameron Crowe. In 1973, teenager William Miller’s passionate love for music and ambition to become a rock journalist lands him a job with Rolling Stone magazine, interviewing and touring with the new and extremely famous band, Stillwater. Starring Patrick Fugit and Kate Hudson, Almost Famous bares open the heart of rock n roll, in a raw and earnest way.Very few films, even those among my favorites, can cause such a cathartic and almost out of body feeling within me, but “Almost Famous” never fails to make me see humanity and its massive intricacies so clearly. Almost Famous is almost perfect. It grabs your attention from beginning to end, miss one moment and you’ll regret it.